The K Dress 

Judging by the date of my first photo of this make, it’s more than SIX months since I completed the K Dress – the Kriss Kross dress. I know, I’m bending the rules of the title slightly, but it turns out K is a tricky letter to work with. 

It’s another Simplicity 1873, lined bodice, invisible zip, no alterations. I really like the fabric, a cooperative cotton bought from Fabworks for about £5pm during spring bank half term. 

The fact that it’s a fair while since I completed this dress means it’s another make that did fit quite nicely, but now doesn’t. This is why I’ve put off wearing it and so not had the photos to be able to blog it until now. The waist and the skirt still fit ok but the bodice is much too big – and the fact it’s lined doesn’t help. After wearing it yesterday, I think I’ll try taking it in about half an inch on each side and see how that helps, and possibly increase it to an inch depending. There’s a lot of excess fabric around the front at the moment. I need to figure out how to grade between a bodice and skirt that are two different sizes, as I think that’s what I will need to do to future versions of this pattern. I still like this pattern very much, I like the neckline, the pleats and the length of the skirt. Just the small matter of the fitting issues to resolve before I make the next one. 


4 responses to “The K Dress 

  1. I really like this. I usually have to grade my top half in to skirts and literally just use the lines to grade it out, I’ll start at an 18 at my arms and bust and grade down by curving in to a 16 at the waist. Then I cut the skirt in a 16, usually. I’m not sure if it’s the right way to do it but it works for me on patterns like this. 🙂

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Great fabric, and really good to see another dress!

    Liked by 1 person

  3. Love this dress! I bought the same pattern from Fabworks but in a polyester shiny fabric to line a special dress. You definitely need to take it in, it’d be a shame not to wear it 😃

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Instagram ccmercer

So pleased with my purchases from the @johnlewisretail sale today! 4m of Robert Kaufman denim + What was left of some @atelierbrunette cotton + some @makoweruk metallic spot. Plus some pretty she’ll buttons that were less than half price 🙌🏼 All came to a total of £36.50. Now to figure out whether I can use any of them for my #2018makenine plans 🤔 •
#buttons #makersgonnamake #imakethings #dressmaking #sales #shopping #bargains The light isn’t great but here’s my second @sewoveritlondon #soivintageshirtdress hot off the machine. This one is made using some chambray coloured cotton from @fabworksmillshop leftover from an @theavidseamstress #daydress I made quite a while ago. The buttons feel like quite a statement and I’m hoping they don’t detract from the dress. I sewed this up as a size 12 and it fits SO much better than the 14. •
#sewmystyle #sewoveritlondon #sewoverit #vintageshirtdress #chambray #sleeveless #dressmaking #imakethings #makersgonnamake #sewersgonnasew #holidaysewing #buttons The only fabric I purchased (so far) in the sales just arrived from @misformake ~ the mason jars is a brushed cotton and the floral (+ snails! 🐌) is a cotton lawn. I only have a couple of metres of each so I’m not sure what I’ll make yet 🤔
#goodpostday #happymail #fabric #sales #salebuys #endofrolls #endofbolt #makersgonnamake #imakethings #sewersgonnasew Finished! My first @sewoveritlondon #vintageshirtdress made with @dashwoodstudio #flurry fabric with 8 vintage red buttons. I cut out the paper pattern and made a size 14, but I think it’s come up a little large and now I’m regretting not tracing it off - which I nearly always do. I’m hoping I’ll be able to nip it in with a belt, as other than that I’m pretty happy with it. I would like to make a sleeveless version in a 12 to compare but I’m not sure how best to size down a pattern I’ve already cut 🤷🏻‍♀️
#soivintageshirtdress #dashwoodstudio #shirtdress #collar #handmade #Imakethings #memade #dressmaking #January Searching through my vintage buttons for 8 that are a suitable match for my almost finished @sewoveritlondon #vintageshirtdress 🧐
#buttons #vintage #retro #choices #preloved #recycle #reuse Last year I realised I could sometimes combine 2 of my favourite things: running and dog walking. Oliver is less compliant, unsurprisingly, but Wilf just loves to run. 
In 2017 we completed 3 #canicross races together, as well as several parkruns. He gets very excited at the beginning, particularly when there is lots of clapping or lots of other dogs. Wilf keeps me company on lots of training runs, both on his harness if we are running on the road and off the lead if we’re on the trails. He’s happy to go on very early or very late runs. He even looks disappointed if I head out in my trainers without him. 
I’ve already booked our first couple of canicross races for 2018, and this year I plan to log how many miles Wilfie runs too. He’s a good dog. •
#rescuedog #dailydog #instadog #patterdaleterrier #patterdale #patterdalex #patterdalecross #runningbuddy #runningdog #runningdogsofinstagram

Follow me on Twitter

Flickr Photos

Top Posts & Pages


Flag Counter}

Save 10% at Elephant In My Handbag

Insert code Marking99 *first use only*



Follow Making and Marking on
The Monthly Stitch


%d bloggers like this: