Le Deuxieme Dahlia

So a couple of weeks ago I made my first Dahlia using a cheap blue polyester type jersey. There began my tempestuous relationship with this pattern, which to be honest took on a whole different aspect on my second attempt.

I chose a dark blue and green tartan – not wool, inexpensive – and cut the pattern out quickly. Creases for darts ironed in well and my bias binding was much improved, which pleased me.

My difficulties with this make related to the neckline and the invisible zip, which I had omitted to include in my first week, and had managed perfectly well without due to the stretchy fabric. This time I again conveniently forgot about the zip, and incorporated pretty much all of the ‘spare’ fabric into the gathers below the yokes, then stitched it all in place before it dawned on me. I just had enough fabric to be able to attach the zip, after basting, sewing, discovering I had caught the zip tape in several places therefore rendering the zip unzip-able, unpicked, reattached and re-caught, unpicked some more…you get the picture. On the plus side, it did mean I got to try out my new invisible zipper foot. Eventually it was done, neatish – from the outside – and secure as long as it’s not unzipped all the way to the bottom. And as long as I have assistance encasing myself within it: it’s not a job for one.

The other main problem I encountered was the neckline. My first version is loose, requiring safety pins to avoid bra strap exposure. This one just seemed huge when I tried it on, so I took about an inch off the front & back seams of each arm. This helped but didn’t solve it completely. Only then did I remember that there would be/should be gathers in the neckline which would pull it in considerably. I tried to put in the front gathers, but as I was so focused on improving my bias tape technique, I ended up only successfully creating a tiny ripple or two, which barely look deliberate.

Again I learnt a lot during this make, and as long as I breathe in and don’t want to get in or out of it too hastily, it’s a fairly nice dress. I made it between Saturday and Saturday, making a little progress each day and taking my time. At the moment I am undecided about whether I would make a third Dahlia, there are plenty more patterns in the sea.




9 responses to “Le Deuxieme Dahlia

  1. This looks a pretty complicated make to me! The end result looks great though, so well done for persevering 🙂

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Your dress looks lovely on!

    Liked by 1 person

  3. Hey!
    I’m fashion graduate and I have to say sewing is literally just practice and perseverance! You did a really good job though and this dress looks so cute, keep going! You tackled some tricky things, invisible zips can be a nightmare.
    Christy x

    Liked by 1 person

  4. It looks great and nobody else will ever notice where you went wrong, so wear it with pride and keep practising!

    Liked by 1 person

  5. I love the green plaid. It looks lovely on you. I don’t usually make a pattern more than once myself.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Instagram ccmercer

Yesterday I spent most of the day at this beautiful old hotel. It even had a doorman. •
#manchester #hotel #conference #christmas #christmastree #traditional Today I travelled to a conference in Manchester, and whilst exploring the local area came across an extremely festive German Christmas market. •
#manchester #manchesterchristmasmarkets #christmasinmanchester #festive #market #christmasmarket #garlands #wreaths #decoration #trimmings #santa #fatherchristmas Festive fun at today’s #PercyPud
10k road race ~ plenty of Christmas costumes, dogs wearing Christmas jumpers + even Christmas music 🎶 Lovely route & love the Christmas pud + tshirt. •
#10k #race #roadrace #christmas #christmasrace #festive #christmaspud #christmaspudding Second day of #ru2c ~ definitely motivating me to get there + start counting the miles 🎄 Today’s run was just a steady jog with dogs off their leads.
#run #running #rungry #runuptoChristmas #weekend #dogjog #runningwithdogs #runnersofinstagram Up and out early this morning, transporting players to a football match in the middle of the beautiful Lincolnshire countryside. The sun shone so brightly it was hard to see, but that’s not something to complain about this far into November. The team played well and they won 🙌🏼
#football #localfooty #matchday #footballmatch #footballboots #mud #muddy #win #victory #goretford #retfordstripes #sunday Ending a busy week with a bit of quilting ~ trying to plan my Christmas gifts as I know time will run away with me! Watching Children in Need and indulging in a @masonsyorkshiregin Yorkshire tea gin 🍸
#quilting #christmas #christmasgift #friday #fridaynight #homemade #memade #weekend

Follow me on Twitter

Flickr Photos

Top Posts & Pages


Flag Counter}

Save 10% at Elephant In My Handbag

Insert code Marking99 *first use only*



Follow Making and Marking on WordPress.com
The Monthly Stitch


%d bloggers like this: