A Cotton Kimono

Having seen a tweet from Minerva Crafts, I was inspired to buy this pattern, and found it at a great price, less than £4 delivered I think.

By Sunday afternoon I was fighting the urge to take a nap, so took a break from marking and began to prepare the pattern.

I cut out the paper followed by fabric and interfacing and it was probably only at that point it struck me that this should and would be a fairly easy pattern. I chose some fabric purchased online for about £3 per metre, which I love the print of but which would be too thin for an unlined dress.
Interfacing attached, I assembled the six pieces as per the instructions. I even researched under stitching as the pattern advised, to make the facings lay flatter and not inclined turn out. This was much easier than anticipated and worked well I think.
There were no other new or tricky techniques and no fastenings to contend with, so the make came together fairly quickly. Next time I think I would French seam it as the insides are quite visible. I chose to pink the edge of the facing but should definitely have done so earlier in the make, as in my haste caught a little of the front of the top, resulting in three tiny diamond shaped holes. I also didn’t hem the bottom right until the end, instead of at the very beginning as advised, and due to lack of patience did mess up on one of the front curves. Why do mistakes always happen in the most visible places? Can you spot them? Look closely!

I will definitely make more, and I think they would make a great gift as they are not fitted at all so sizing shouldn’t be an issue. I think it’s something I’ll wear more of in the warmer weather over summer tops, but I did wear it to work yesterday just over a tshirt.




6 responses to “A Cotton Kimono

  1. Ooh, lovely – you’re going to have to make the rest of the set too. I think it would be a brilliant work outfit:)

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Looks great! I love a kimono top – so versatile!

    Liked by 1 person

  3. The fabric is sweet! Little things always happen when you’re rushing!! But it’s good they didn’t stop you wearing it 🙂 This pattern looks really good – you got a lot for your £4!

    Liked by 1 person

  4. Very nice! Looks good – the colours match – with your top (and your dog is cute too!)

    Liked by 1 person

  5. Lovely fabric, suits the pattern perfectly. Great for the Summer months ‘ahead, can’t come too soon!

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Instagram ccmercer

Yesterday I spent most of the day at this beautiful old hotel. It even had a doorman. •
#manchester #hotel #conference #christmas #christmastree #traditional Today I travelled to a conference in Manchester, and whilst exploring the local area came across an extremely festive German Christmas market. •
#manchester #manchesterchristmasmarkets #christmasinmanchester #festive #market #christmasmarket #garlands #wreaths #decoration #trimmings #santa #fatherchristmas Festive fun at today’s #PercyPud
10k road race ~ plenty of Christmas costumes, dogs wearing Christmas jumpers + even Christmas music 🎶 Lovely route & love the Christmas pud + tshirt. •
#10k #race #roadrace #christmas #christmasrace #festive #christmaspud #christmaspudding Second day of #ru2c ~ definitely motivating me to get there + start counting the miles 🎄 Today’s run was just a steady jog with dogs off their leads.
#run #running #rungry #runuptoChristmas #weekend #dogjog #runningwithdogs #runnersofinstagram Up and out early this morning, transporting players to a football match in the middle of the beautiful Lincolnshire countryside. The sun shone so brightly it was hard to see, but that’s not something to complain about this far into November. The team played well and they won 🙌🏼
#football #localfooty #matchday #footballmatch #footballboots #mud #muddy #win #victory #goretford #retfordstripes #sunday Ending a busy week with a bit of quilting ~ trying to plan my Christmas gifts as I know time will run away with me! Watching Children in Need and indulging in a @masonsyorkshiregin Yorkshire tea gin 🍸
#quilting #christmas #christmasgift #friday #fridaynight #homemade #memade #weekend

Follow me on Twitter

Flickr Photos

Top Posts & Pages


Flag Counter}

Save 10% at Elephant In My Handbag

Insert code Marking99 *first use only*



Follow Making and Marking on WordPress.com
The Monthly Stitch


%d bloggers like this: