For this week’s Sewisfaction GBSB challenge STRETCH I was excited to try a new to me (I’m late to the party yet again) FREE Tessuti pattern: the Mandy Boat Tee.

I’d download the pdf and it was back from the printers waiting to be cut out. Super simple: just a front, back and sleeves. I cut a size 3 with the 3/4 sleeves.

The fabric is some Fabworks border print scuba leftover from an unsuccessful Freya which found a new home through eBay. I didn’t actually love this fabric when the Freya was made up (though the main issue was lack of cross-wise stretch with how I’d used the border). This time however I was pleased to be able to make the front and the sleeves from the gorgeous oversized floral print and the back in the more abstract design.

I sewed the seams on my overlocker and the facing and hems on my regular machine: I used the dashed zig zag stitch to hem as recommended by the lovely Rachel from Holm Sown.

It came together super quickly and was a joy to make. Next time I’d ideally finish the edges of the neck facing before stitching but I’m not quite sure how.

The overall verdict is I love this top! It is comfortable yet work appropriate. It’s not fitted but I love the fit. Being able to squeeze this out of leftover fabric made it free plus it’s made me see the fabric completely differently. A big thumbs up for The Mandy Boat Tee! I’m already planning another.

Advertisements